The deposit located at Laragan, Elphin, Co. Roscommon was originally quarried by the local authority in the 1940’s. The property was acquired by Bertie Hanly and his two brothers, Padraig and Vincent Hanly, in the late 1960’s where they operated a plant hire business in addition to some extraction.
Quarrying officially commenced in 1972 primarily comprising the production and sale of ground limestone. The quarry expanded to all grades of aggregates throughout the 1970’s and in 1979 commenced the production of concrete.
Throughout the 1980’s the company supplied the region’s most important projects with all materials, limestone and concrete. In the late 1980’s the company invested in paving equipment and began laying roads for the local authorities and later the National Roads Authority.
The company then began developing and constructing a wide variety of projects from IDA Advance factories to local authority housing to municipal and civil engineering projects.
In the early 1990’s the company expanded into structural steel building the initial Harris Hino Assembly Plant on the Naas Road in Dublin. As part of a wider group, the company developed and constructed in excess of 2000 residential properties throughout the late 1990’s and 2000’s.
In 2011 expanded into the production and sale of high PSV specialist surface dressing aggregates. The rock for same was sourced at the company’s high PSV and manufactured and processed at its processing facility at Laragan, Elphin.